Spring and summer bring a fresh new crop of health fairs in many communities.
Often held annually or semi-annually, health fairs make for a wonderful day out with friends and family, and are usually open to the general public with free admission. Sometimes they are themed particularly for one or more segments of the general population or their interests. There are women’s health fairs, separate events for kids or men, and most every community presents a health fair for older adults and seniors.
These events can be very helpful to residents of all ages as they:
- Bring the community together at public centres where residents can learn about their local recreation, education and athletic or community programs
- Provide essential information for public health, finance, municipal services and social welfare
- Update residents on local, regional and federal governmental changes to laws, funding and programs
- Allow for socializing with friends, family and neighbours; most fairs provide food and refreshments
- Promote local shopping and networking for improved business and commerce within the community.
Baby Boomers are the largest segment of population in Canada currently but are expected to be overtaken by Millennials by 2028. Traditionally, both groups love to get out and socialize, or learn new information, and since many Baby Boomers are grandparents to Millennials, they have a common bond of shared interests and get on well together.
Whether you’re going to hang out with the kids, grandkids, grandparents, or friends and neighbours, consider supporting your local community health fairs, art shows and fundraising events.
Active Aging attends or exhibits at a number of health fairs and events annually, mostly in Ontario. Most of these are free admission but check the event web page to confirm. We’ve listed just a few here.
If you would like your health fair added to our list, email us with your information.
Ajax – 55+ Wellness Fair – September 7, 2019
Amherstburg – 2019 Active & Aging Well Expo – Friday, June 7 & Saturday, June 8, 2019
Belleville – Older Adult (50+) Information Fair – Thursday, May 30, 2019
Burlington – Community Senior Services Show – May 22, 2019
Caledon – Seniors Day – Wednesday, June 5, 2019
Kitchener – Total Health & Wellness Show – Sunday, May 26, 2019
Leamington – Healthy Aging Expo 2019 – Friday, May 3, 2019
Maple – Annual Seniors Expo 50+ – Wednesday, September 25, 2019
Mississauga – 2019 Buddha’s Light Vegetarian Food Fair – Sunday, June 2, 2019
Toronto – Health & Beauty Expo 2019 – Sunday, October 6, 2019
Toronto – Women’s Health Conference 2019 – Saturday, September 28, 2019
Windsor – 50 Plus Show – Sat., Jun. 22 – Sunday, Jun. 23, 2019